if there was one herb i wouldn't want to go extinct (is that even a thing that herbs do?), it would be basil. closely followed by cilantro. but i love basil. probably because it's in some of my favorite foods, like caprese salad and margherita pizza. but i also just love how dang fragrant it is by itself. the pepper aroma of the basil mixes perfectly with the sweetness of blueberries. i used to have a candle burning in my kitchen with the scent blueberry basil, which smelled ah-mazing, so i figured they have to taste good together in a cocktail, right?
this is a perfectly light and refreshing drink that can easily be tweaked to be just what you want!
what you'll need:
> blueberries (5-7)
> fresh basil (2-3 leaves)
> about 2 teaspoons sugar
> 1 tablespoon lemon juice
> 1.5-2 oz. rum
> splash of soda water
how to do it:
1. in your shaker, put blueberries, basil leaves (i ripped them up a bit), sugar, and lemon juice.
2. with a small spoon or spatula, crush (muddle) all of that up until you start to see more liquid than solid pieces.
3. pour in rum (or liquor of choice) and some ice cubes. shake well.
4. fill your glass with ice cubes. pour mix over ice.
5. top with soda water and garnish with basil leaf.
make it a mocktail:
use lemonade (sparkling or flat), flavored La Croix sparkling water, or ginger ale!